Split Rein Hold

JulieGoodnight.com Logo

Split rein hold
Split reins are commonly used by western riders and there are several ways to hold them– the two-handed trainer’s hold (with the reins bridged and both reins in both hands), one-handed trainer’s hold (reins bridged with four fingers between the reins) and the proper split rein, like what is required in competition. The split reins hold is sometimes called the “pistol grip” and is easily taught to riders by having them make a pistol, then grab the reins with the index finger between the reins.
–Julie Goodnight